request: "I’ll get my doctorate in fucking gay!"
- The Face: What do people most misunderstand about The Strokes?
- Fab Moretti [drums]: That we’re in this for anything other than the music. That we’re fashionistas. That we’re rich boys trying to steal the spotlight from someone else. When you try a hard as you can to just be yourself and make music, people like to start making things up.
- Albert Hammond Jnr [guitar]: They don’t see our bigger picture, our bigger goal. The music gets put to the side and a lot of stuff gets talked about that doesn’t really mean anything. When the media first talked about us they talked about the way we looked, which is fine, but what a small thing to talk about: the hours you spend on music compared to the minutes you spend on what you’re going to wear.
- Nikolai Fraiture [bass]: There’s a lot about us that people don’t know, so they make up suppositions. We’re pretty much five normal guys; we like to work and party and have fun.
- Julian Casablancas [singer]: That we act like snobby assholes. As far as I know I’m pretty normal. Maybe when I get fucked up I act weird. When you mess with your brain a little bit, sometimes something positive comes out that’s more long-lasting than the negative effects of the next-day regrets.
- Nick Valensi [guitar]: If we’re misunderstood, that’s good, because I never understood he bands I liked as a kid, I never knew that their motives were. I don’t think people should know too much about anything. It messes up the fun.
Dá valor no que te dá valor, levanta a cabeça, busca tua felicidade.